If things go according to plan, the new TK8 plugin will be released next Wednesday, September 22. This article provides information on several aspects surrounding its launch. Please review it carefully if you are a previous customer or are interested in trying the TK8 plugin.
The new TK8 plugin is built using Adobe’s new UXP architecture for extensions. It contains three modules: Multi-Mask, Combo, and Cx. The main interface of each is shown in the image above. TK8 works on Mac and Windows computers including the new Mac “M” computers. The new architecture required completely re-coding everything. Simply creating a TK7 clone would have saved time and been easier, but I wanted to use some of the new capabilities of UXP and also add several new features. So, I pushed ahead with developing a much improved plugin instead. TK8-beta, released in April this year, was essentially that TK7 clone. The full TK8 plugin goes much further. It’s truly a next-generation plugin that offers new levels of control and creativity in Photoshop. NOTE: The UXP architecture means TK8 will only work in Photoshop 2021 or later.
Important update information
The purpose of this post isn’t to detail all the new features in TK8. I’ll cover those in a future article. Right now I just want to let customers know that the plugin is ready and how to make sure they can get a copy if they’re interested. Below are some important points along this line.
- Customers who purchased TK7 within the last year (12 months) will receive a free TK8 upgrade (some restrictions apply).
- Previous customers who purchased the TK7 panel more than a year ago (or even an older version of the “TK” panel) will be offered a 50% discount on the new TK8 plugin.
- Upgrade/update discount codes will be emailed on Wednesday, September 22 to the email address used when making the original purchase. If you have changed your email address since purchasing, contact me AFTER next Wednesday in order to receive the appropriate discount code.
- Discount codes and upgrades expire in 30 days and will not be renewed or extended unless prior approval has been requested and approved.
- Download server capability. While items purchased with 25% or 50% discount codes will NOT be affected, the download server will likely be unable to serve all the free upgrade requests, at least initially, probably for three or four days. If you receive an error message when trying to obtain a free upgrade, please try again the following day. I apologize for the inconvenience. Again, purchases with the 25% or 50% discount codes should be OK, just the free downloads may experience delays.
- There will be a “soft launch” of the TK8 plugin and TK8 Video Guide on Monday, September 20. This mostly involves adding TK8 plugin information and purchase options to my website. The soft launch will test the website and download server to make sure things are working properly. Previous customers, however, should wait until Wednesday, September 22, to receive their discount codes before upgrading. Refunds will not be issued for purchases that do not utilize the appropriate discount codes.
- There will be a site-wide 25% discount available during the TK8 launch period, so it’s a good time to get a good deal on any of Sean Bagshaw’s videos on the Panels & Videos page.
- Free downloads for linear camera profiles will be temporarily unavailable during the launch period in order to allow the download server to provide free upgrades instead. If you’d like to download a linear profile for your camera, please do so before next Monday.
TK8 Video Guide
Just like the TK8 plugin is completely new, so is the TK8 Video Guide. Sean Bagshaw (English), Antonio Prado (Spanish), and André Distel (German) have all recorded new video guides covering the TK8 plugin. Each series reviews the plugin in detail in their respective languages and are probably the best way to quickly become proficient at using TK8. These photographers have been involved with the TK panel for many years. Their videos have been instrumental in making luminosity mask techniques available to photographers world-wide. They do a great job demonstrating the features in the TK8 plugin and each series provides numerous examples of innovative ways to add these masks to your workflow.
There will be special discounts on these video series for previous and new customers as well. These discount codes will be sent in a separate email on Wednesday, September 22, so be sure to watch for them. Sample videos will be available to watch when TK8 soft-launches on Monday, September 20. Check the Panels & Videos page for links.
The videos below are trailers from Sean Bagshaw, Antonio Prado, and André Distel for their respective TK8 video courses. In the first one, Sean Bagshaw provides a behind-the-scenes look at what’s involved in making a video course of this scope. He makes it look effortless, but there’s actually a lot of work that goes into a producing videos of this quality.
El siguiente video es un teaser de Antonio Prado en el que puedes ver lo que vas a encontrar en esta nueva versión de la Videoguía TK8.
In dem Video unten zeigt André Distel eine kurze Einführung seines TK V8 Video Guides in deutscher Sprache.
I’m excited to finally release TK8. I think it’s the best “TK” panel yet and am sure you will find it useful. However, during a product launch, things tend to get a bit overwhelming with lots of questions and emails. I’ll apologize in advance for my slow replies. If you have a problem with the plugin, please check and try the recommendations in the “Troubleshooting” section of the installation PDF. If you continue to have problems, feel free to contact me, but please be patient. If you don’t hear from me in a day or two that probably means I missed or accidentally deleted your message. It can also indicate you entered an invalid email address on the contact form (that happens too). In either case, just contact me again. I want to help and I’m sure we’ll be able to connect eventually.
I hope you enjoy the TK8 plugin. I appreciate your patience while it was being developed and also the many recommendations and suggestions that have been incorporated into the final version.